Thursday, February 18, 2010

Putting my Office in Order

When I began my own business three years ago I had not prepared for the overwhelming duties of keeping my accounts in order. I figured since it was just a very small business I could handle it without having to use a professional accountant or even accounting software. I was very wrong. It didn’t take long for my books to get out of hand and I knew tax time would be a nightmare if I didn’t bring some order to this mess.

I began with buying Quickbooks, which was very simple and easy to use. I was able to take care of all my home office needs just from that one program. I was able to print checks, automatically keep my bank balance, and print invoices without any problem at all. I had detailed legers of all my business payments and bills.

There are many different business tools that were at my disposal and I tried many of them just to see which ones were perfect for my needs. I made sure that everything I tried was related to small business accounting software as I didn’t need anything that is designed for big corporations; it was just me and my office. I didn’t have any accounting knowledge so the programs I tried had to be easy to understand and easy to work with. I really didn’t want to do any kind of math on my own; I needed a product that would do it all. That’s why I finally decided on Quickbooks because it did everything I needed it to and nothing I didn’t need it to.

I highly suggest that anybody starting a home business to start out with some kind of accounting software to keep your books in order. Don’t wait until you become over-whelmed with a desk covered in invoices and notes; start your business clean and easy and you won’t have sleepless nights wondering which bills were paid and which ones weren’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment